Now that you’re allowing comments on your links, I wanted to say that I was in total agreement on the last one regarding IE7. Why should the web get ready for IE7? Should not the browser makers unsure that their sites work with the web?

I am happy that IE7 is finally shipped, but only because it means a raised water level at the bottom of the proverbial barrel. I do not think it is the gem of a browser that Microsoft has been claimed it is, but at least John Q. Public will have a better overall browsing experience than with IE6. Who knows, maybe in 5 or so years we won’t have to use the * html hack within If-IE conditionals. Here’s to hoping.

Nathan Smith
Oct 19th, 2006 3:46 pm

i was very scared for this day… thankfully all the sites i’ve built lately don’t break.

paul
Oct 19th, 2006 4:51 pm

Just tried this out on my PC. Not very impressed at all with pretty much everything. Loading a single page is very slow. Also the overall performance is sluggish compared to other modern browsers. At least the CSS rendering has improved, that will save loads of time for developers. I’m still sticking with Safari and FireFox here.

Hopefully this isn’t a taste of Vista’s quality.

Mat
Oct 20th, 2006 1:57 am

I’m not sure if it was IE7, or the eleventy trillion other updates that downloaded with it, but two reboots and 15 processor hogging minutes of waiting is ridiculous. They just don’t GET it.

Adam Thody
Oct 20th, 2006 9:06 am

And yet, here I am, having installed IE7 on my laptop yesterday, not having any problems at all. Most, if not all of the sites I’ve built lately render well in it… Am I going to switch to using it as my primary browser? Heck no… but for the basic user, I’d say it’s defintely worth the upgrade from IE6. Let’s stop the Hatin’ people. Microsoft didn’t hit it out of the park on this release, but at least they’re up to bat again.

Chris Harrison
Oct 20th, 2006 12:25 pm

I’m in full agreement with Chris on this one. The added benefit of Microsoft resuming browser updates is that it will keep a fire under Mozilla and Opera to maintain a brisk pace of innovation.

IE7 isn’t revolutionary, and it certainly still has quite a ways to go before it equals other modern browsers in standards support. It is a big improvement, however, and development for IE7 requires fewer hacks and work-arounds than its predecessors. I like the direction MS is headed here, and hope for more improvements to come.

Adam Messinger
Oct 20th, 2006 4:16 pm

Shouldn’t it say “3 restarts”? @Adam Thody: I agree. In my case the status bar, didnt change within this 15 Minutes… “We heard you?” … omg.

Erik
Oct 21st, 2006 12:18 pm

Hmm… well I rarely use a PC and never use IE save for testing (after I am done with the entire site), so it’s not going on my PC anytime soon. Six months from now when it’s being used by more people I will put it on my Media Center PC.

Mint says most of my blog visitors are using Firefox and IE 6, so if I see a big jump in the IE7 column before 6 months I’ll upgrade then. But my sites work in Firefox and IE6 (and Safari from what I hear) without any hacks, so I think I am pretty safe at the moment.

Joshua Kendall