The Lovely Life EP

This past year has been crazy with Mint’s success, traveling, speaking, and getting married yet somehow I’ve managed to write more songs in this past year than in the two preceding it. Most are in varying stages of completion but I’ve decided to put three of them out there as a virtual 7” complete with sleeve (unfortunately not to scale—curse my web-centric-ness).

Shaun Inman's The Lovely Life EP

Notes about each song including lyrics can be found on the individual song page linked below. If anyone is interested in remixing or contributing programming or additional instrumentation to these tracks, let me know and I’ll post the Garage Band files.

This Modern Life
When Design Lies
September 17th, 2006 at 8:26 pm
Music
Comments

Wow. That’s amazing. Can’t wait to hear those tunes. They’ll be surely appreciated as I am in need of good music to work to. Cheers!

Miguel
Sep 17th, 2006 5:21 pm

Nice work Inman! This Modern Life is an excellent song! I love the layering of the acoustics you’ve got going on Lovely Life. It would be cool if I could add some techno beats (David Crowder style) to This Modern Life via Reason. I’ve yet to work in Garage Band..am going to check into porting a Reason file to Garage Band this week. Any way I could get the GB file for The Modern Life from you?

Cheers!

Adam Spooner
Sep 17th, 2006 8:16 pm

At first I was going to pass on hearing someone “famous” (okay, not really famous, but famous to me) sing. Have you ever heard Omar Vizquel sing? Bad stuff. But then I saw David Crowder’s name in the comments and I decided to give a listen. Good stuff.

Kevin
Sep 17th, 2006 10:05 pm

Congrats Shaun, What an amazing album you’ve made. Love the music. Keep on composing!

Thijs Moens
Sep 17th, 2006 10:38 pm

Nice work. I can hear Lovely Life with some house beats on it, and This Modern Life as a pop-punk anthem…

Matthew Pennell
Sep 18th, 2006 12:21 am

Very nice!

What kind of equipment do you record with? Just a mic straight into Garageband? What kind if so? You’re getting great quality there…

Travis Schmeisser
Sep 18th, 2006 5:11 am

I love Modern Life. Keep up the great stuff.

Es
Sep 18th, 2006 5:14 am

I dig this stuff. Lovely. :)

And great CD sleeve art, too!

Jina Bolton
Sep 18th, 2006 5:26 am

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Adam: I just realized that I’m still working with Garage Band 2 (and the This Modern Life source files are almost 200MB ). I need to update my copy of iLife but since I plan on buying a new computer soon (iLife would come with it) I might have to wait and put that $80 towards the computer. In the meantime can you work with the mp3 knowing that the bpm is 120? I’m no human metronome but I didn’t stray too far from the click track.

Kevin: I’d be wary too. Thanks for giving it a shot. I’ve never heard of David Crowder before. Two mentions in one thread? I’ll have to check him out.

Travis: It’s all recorded using Garage Band (2.02), a Yamaha acoustic guitar and the Samson C01U condenser microphone. This mic totally blows out the bass so I use some bass reduction filters in Garage Band to compensate. This Modern Life actually has a bass line but I had to cut it because I couldn’t get a good recording and I wasn’t happy with the one I programmed in Garage Band (I haven’t figured out how to do slides when musically typing).

Sep 18th, 2006 5:34 am

Rosewood?! You better hope DIN doesn’t find out…

Dan Mall
Sep 18th, 2006 7:46 am

Jina: I threw together the album art pretty quickly. The cover photo should be a blast from the past for some.

Dan: Rosewood Fill of all things! How uneducated of me. Din is pouting in the copyright notice.

Sep 18th, 2006 7:54 am

I’m hooked on ‘Moden Life’, it’s on the third time round now. I’m in love with the layering on ‘Lovely Life’, it works really erll.

I might lay down some bass on them tomorrow (if that’s alright of course); being in between bands I’m playing every chance I get! If it’s any good I’ll drop you a line.

The artwork is sweet — fits the sound nicely. I love how your ‘si’ logo looks like a record labels’. Nice.

Rob Wilmshurst
Sep 18th, 2006 1:59 pm

Shaun,

You make so wonderful love to the guitar. The note sings to me as fly like birds around my head. Very well performance my friend!

Franc Pung

Franc
Sep 19th, 2006 9:38 am

Wow ! Your music is truly awesome, I listened to it the whole day, and I just can’t get enough !

Thank you for these tracks (and for the free download).

Alpha
Sep 19th, 2006 12:20 pm

Shaun, yes. I remember that layout well. I just didn’t remember the bed. :)

Jina Bolton
Sep 21st, 2006 7:30 pm

Awesome work Shaun. The layered acoustic guitar tracks sound awesome. The vocals and the layers/ stereo effects give it a Postal Service vibe (which is a very good thing).

Rob Goodlatte
Sep 22nd, 2006 1:42 am

I’d just like to echo the previous comments. Very cool music. Keep it up!

Harry Wincup
Sep 22nd, 2006 2:49 pm

Great tunes, it’s the kind of stuff I like to listen to whilst i’m working - mellow, relaxing and simple. Is there anything the mighty Inman can’t do?!

Andy Pearson
Sep 23rd, 2006 12:59 pm

shaun, u totaly rock.

km
Sep 24th, 2006 12:47 pm

Shaun - I know you said the files are big, but I am really interested in taking a shot at remixing. If you email me, I can give you ftp info and you could upload them (if you aren’t enjoying the thought of people with no intent to actually remix downloading 200 meg files just because they are posted).

charles
Sep 26th, 2006 1:23 pm

you are a good shaun !!! awesome music !

jose erlino lontok
Sep 27th, 2006 3:37 am

Would be interesting to add some extra into or synths even. Also maybe even a slight tambourine or conga?

For inspiration

I suggest listening to the Posies for singing harmonies.

Also the band Helium, eg The Dirt of Luck 1995 on Matador records, also check anything with the singer (solo)

Indy
Sep 28th, 2006 1:23 pm

I just posted the Garage Band 3 source files as promised! Do your worst guys—or your best—however you feel inclined.

Nov 12th, 2006 11:19 am