Musical Chain Baton

Stan claims to have “passed” me the baton. I say he chucked it at my head. Really. Ethan and Andy were a little more graceful.

Total volume of music files on my computer:

41.72 GB

The last CD I bought was:

Haughty Melodic” by Mike Doughty
Apparently the album title is a phonetic anagram of his name. Pretty sure I came across that bit of trivia during the interview portions of this show on KEXP. And here’s another more recent one.

Song playing right now:

“Give It To You” by Jordan Knight (yes, that Jordan Knight)

Five songs I listen to a lot:

• Windowlicker” by Aphex Twin
  • “Stickshifts and Safety Belts” by Cake
  • “Castlevania,” “Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest” and “Castlevania 3: Dracula’s Curse” by the Minibosses (sure that’s 3 songs but they’re all from a single franchise)
  • Stay Home” by Self (I was quite surprised to hear Matt Mahaffey’s voice at the end of Shrek)
  • “Rabbit in your Headlights” by U.N.K.L.E. featuring Thom Yorke

Five people to whom I am passing the baton:

What Mike Said
Mike Doughty on KEXP
May 16th, 2005 at 9:20 pm
Music
Personal
Comments

Not that I like to clown on anyone’s musical tastes but JORDAN KNIGHT! So many jokes to be made and so little time…

Scrivs
May 16th, 2005 5:38 pm

Haha, no worries, it’s to be expected Scrivs. Have you heard this song though? The production alone is worth a mention, but add to that the fact that we’re talking about a former New Kid? It should really be in my five most played.

May 16th, 2005 5:41 pm

And just to show you I still got love for your manliness Inman I remember that song. It’s the video of him at a carnival. Saw that ish on TRL back in the day.

Back to my Gucci Man.

Scrivs
May 16th, 2005 5:42 pm

What’s the surprise? I’ve always thought that Shaun’s music was inspired by NKOTB.

MT
May 16th, 2005 6:36 pm

I think 41.72 GB is about this largest collection size I’ve seen today, nice work Shaun.

The real question is, is it MP3 and if so, what’s the bitrate?

Justin P.
May 16th, 2005 8:33 pm

It’s mostly MP3 but lately there’s been a sprinkling of AAC from the iTunes Music Store (I didn’t count the gigs of musical composition ideas that I have kicking around as aifs). Unfortunately I ripped most of my collection while I was in college before I really grasped the whole bitrate thing so a good portion of that 42GB is 128k. I also have a crapload of live bootlegs of the Dave Matthews Band as well as entire line-ups from various net labels that give their music away for free. Definitely check out i,cactus (also known as Khonnor) and Anders Svenson if you’re into that “video game beeping shit” as Mike calls it.

May 16th, 2005 9:02 pm

And while we (or just me) are on the topic, Transient is pretty dope too—once you get through some of the more New Agey intros and the percussion kicks in.

May 17th, 2005 4:52 am

Shaun, did that Jordan Knight happen to come off that R.A. compilation from O-House the year that the girl and I were R.A.s? I put that song on there cause it’s the cut, son. And if you didn’t get it from there, your music tastes have officially earned my stamp of approval. I gush every time I hear that song (p.s. pass it my way via my gizzy-mail — I lost it long ago).

Mike Creighton
May 17th, 2005 7:03 am

Yes, yes it did. Wow, it seems that you have had an even greater influence on my musical tastes than we originally suspected. The track is en route. Full circle.

May 17th, 2005 7:11 am

Oh but you know what? I actually came across the single in a used CD shop two years ago and picked it up for seventy five cents. So despite being a track from college I have it ripped at 192k. Score!

May 17th, 2005 7:15 am

Wow, it’s a regular Jordan Knight lovefest. You guys are off your rockers. Did anybody see him on The Surreal Life? Surreal…

Mike D.
May 17th, 2005 7:18 am

Being included in this makes me want to redesign. I’ve been inspired by a musicl baton. Who’da thunk it?

Josiah
May 18th, 2005 3:52 am

More importantly, on what format do you have your music in, and at which (average) bitrate (if not lossless)?

Daniel Schierbeck
May 18th, 2005 9:15 am

If you’re a fan of Khonnor you should check out Bonobo and Hint, if you haven’t already… Downtempo electronica. Mmmmm.

Mike Stenhouse
May 18th, 2005 9:52 am

You might have answered this already. I didn’t read all the comments. How did you get so much music? Do you get like a CD a week? Do you get music from the Library? Heck you probably have more music than the local library now.

Juna Duncan
May 18th, 2005 1:21 pm

Fnally someone with a little more music in his library. I have 126.7GB (and ever-growing) and thought I was the only one out there with a vast amount of goodies…

If you like some Minimalistic stuff definitely look out for some from the NovaMute (US) and Minus labels.

Vincent Grouls
May 19th, 2005 10:51 am

Has anyone tried back-tracking this “baton” to see where it came from?

Theodore K
May 21st, 2005 9:30 pm

Finally someone who listens to very good music like UNKLE and Aphex Twin. Pfffiiiieeeeuuuuwww, i thought everyone listened to the same bollocks. Cheers!

seba 909
May 23rd, 2005 12:30 am

I got you beat-

83.3 GB 15,974 songs

most mp3, 192 half AIFF only 1 AAC

— I have been working in the music biz for a while so I get promo CD’s out he wazoo- but I love almost every song I have.

cpawl
May 23rd, 2005 9:04 pm

Wanna have some good nice laidback progressive tunes - between jazz and funky soul arrangements.

The guitar is prominent also drums, sax, trumpet …

Check these jazz fusion artists:

John Scofield, Bill Frissel, Larry Coryell, Chick Corea

They have been around for ages…

Ideal when doing creative work - ideal surround music

Johan
Jun 15th, 2005 3:17 am

should be Bill Frisell

Also great music

For electronics - downtempo u-cover records - the artists page- the link: http://tinyurl.com/95nvw

JOHAN
Jun 16th, 2005 3:36 am

If you like Aphex Twin and sorts … you should have [I apoligize if you know this one allready] a listen to these early electronica compilations:

Artificial Intelligence 2 (WARPCD23) I guess there are also parts 1 and 3 .. not sure It was released around 1992.

It has a greenisch cover with a couch and stuff on it.

B52
Jun 20th, 2005 4:57 am

Happy to see I’m not alone to love Castlevania musics !!! :) Specially Simon’s Quest, the best …

Rod