Belated Resolutions

Better late than never, this list will serve as a public reminder to myself (and anyone else who wants to deliver the occasional kick in the pants) of what I hope to achieve creatively in the eleven and half months left in this new year:

• Release a 6-8 track EP of all new material, tentatively titled “This is your signal.” I’ve been experimenting with a sound not entirely unlike The Postal Service.
  • Get ShortStat 1.0 and 2.0 out the door. Mike Davidson convinced me that what I’ve been calling 1.0 is really a 2.0 piece of software. So v0.35b will be climbing seven notches. “Out the door” will include a website with forums, bug-tracking and possibly mailing list
  • Update ShaunInman.com with a new multiline, fixed font-size version of IFR that’s been sitting on my harddrive for the last month—or two. That will probably be part of a search-based redesign I’ve been toying with.
  • Revitalize Designologue.com. Whether that means the whole new system I’ve been kicking around for almost a year or just some touch-up on the current site, I’m not sure, but Designologue could be so much more than it currently is—both in participation and the community features offered.
  • Land at least three, make that two, speaking engagements (one being international).

That said, I have some work to do.

Mistrial? No.
twotiny
January 15th, 2005 at 2:19 pm
Designologue
Personal
ShortStat
Event
Comments

Good luck to ya Shaun! I’m sure you can get it all done soon!

Aaron Jones
Jan 15th, 2005 11:01 am

I can’t wait for the new ShortStat release :-)

Remi P.
Jan 15th, 2005 11:34 am

I can’t wait for ShortStat 1.0.. I saw the preview of it awhile back and it looked awesome.

Luke
Jan 15th, 2005 3:14 pm

SXSW… Heey, I want to be there :’( Kinda impossible, damn :(

JohnyB
Jan 15th, 2005 3:45 pm

Your goals have inspired me to set some for myself. Thanks.

John Nunemaker
Jan 15th, 2005 4:40 pm

Query: how does one know when one has not one but two?

Seth Thomas Rasmussen
Jan 16th, 2005 1:38 am

Assuming you mean ShortStat, there’s a couple ways. If the body background color is white then you’re 1.0-ish, if it’s gray then you have what has now been dubbed 2.0. The other way is to add 1 to whatever your current version number is and round down to the nearest integer. Still another way is if you have a web-based configuration (2.0) or still need to manually edit configuration.php (1.0). You also have 2.0 if you’ve been receiving 1.0 betas from me directly via email.

Confusing, no?

Jan 16th, 2005 5:54 am

Sounds great, Shaun. (I love the Postal Service, by the way). I look forward to your new stuff.

Jina
Jan 16th, 2005 10:35 am

my resolution always seems to be to actually start making resolutions… baby steps, i know. a goal last year of mine was to release a EP with a band, which i did, unfortunately i quit the band soon after. but the goal was still accomplished.

paul
Jan 16th, 2005 11:40 am

I’m excited by the thought of a new DSNLG. I’m surprised that it hasn’t caught on more than it has. It’s really a gold mine for designers. Can’t wait for the next release!

Dan Mall
Jan 16th, 2005 3:15 pm

Heh… I know I’ve got 2.0 as far as ShortStat is concerned, thought I’ve yet to install the second Beta you sent out… is it rather significant?

My question was more of a general question about how one decides on versioning increments. There are some obvious arbitrary decisions to be made, but do people follow any sort of general guidelines?

Seth Thomas Rasmussen
Jan 17th, 2005 9:35 am

Ah, for me it’s been entirely arbitrary. Of course I’ve never worked in a formal versioned development environment so I’m definitely not the one to ask. Joel on Software would probably be a great place to start though. I’ll do some digging and report back if I find anything of note.

Jan 17th, 2005 5:03 pm

wOOT! shortstat onward HO! can’t wait…..

looks like a full year ahead, go for it shaun…

clint
Jan 19th, 2005 5:55 am

You are an ambitious fellow and I sure admire that…. software, design, music, public speaking.. wow. Anyway, I like your music and look forward to the newest.

kingbenny