Number Seven

Time to retire the old digs. SI6 is going the way of Internet Explorer. It served its purpose but now is the time to be mindful of standards and explore new techniques and technology. And let’s not forget meaningless, trendy suffixes.

This is a soft launch, a quiet affair, and as such there’s some unfinished business and rough edges. This will be the first time in almost two years that I’ve attempted to keep an up-to-date portfolio online. Right now it consists only of pretty pictures but I’ll be adding project descriptions focusing on design challenges met and production issues overcome in the coming week. I may even humble it up some with honest discussion about the failures or disappointments of certain solutions. I’ll also be working towards getting all of my music back online (all free of course) including lyrics and anecdotes about individual songs and the period during which they were written. And I’ll definitely be soliciting feedback as I write new material.

So there’s content to be added, some CSS to tweak (I’ve yet to let Internet Explorer PC in on the joke) and writing skills to polish up. All in good time…

Update

All portfolio pieces now have descriptions (subject to revision). All posted tunes are now available for download—but watch out IE 5.x Mac users, your browser will choke on the JavaScript used in this section. The site now works in IE 6 and 5.5 on the PC. I disabled the search and Designologue drop-down in the header because of IE’s lack of support for transparent PNGs. IE 5.0x PC is sent unstyled content. IE PC also has some trouble loading/displaying background images in generated content and elements whose display is set to none initially so if things look funny try using a modern browser.

MT Search and PHP Includes
You’re gonna remember me
February 1st, 2004 at 11:20 pm
The Site
Comments

Holy rocking chairs, batman!! This is f*cking amazing. I think I just wet myself over this one.

Nigel Goodfellow
Feb 7th, 2004 1:18 pm

This is the most incredible commenting system I’ve ever seen. Is that dynamic text written in Flash down there? The Author remarks thing? Cause holy cow.

Mike
Feb 7th, 2004 1:20 pm

Uh-oh, how’d you guys find this? It’s not officially done yet but I’m glad to hear you’re digging it.

In answer to your question Mike, the majority of large black and red text is created dynamically with Flash based on values stored in perfectly valid <h> tags. I’m working on a tutorial explaining the technique that I plan to submit to A List Apart.

Feb 7th, 2004 3:54 pm

Don’t worry, Shaun. You can trust Mike and I. It’s our little secret.. hehe. A friend of mine found it. He just changed the /si6/ in the address bar to /si7/ :P.

That flash bit sounds really cool. I can’t wait to read about it @ ALA.!!

Nigel Goodfellow
Feb 8th, 2004 10:52 am

sorry shaun, i told nigel, guess he told mike.. it was just too beautiful to gawk over alone!

ak
Feb 9th, 2004 12:28 pm

I do miss the “less bloggy” style of v 6 however this is a stylish and very trick upgrade. Look forward to that ALA tutorial.

Cheers, John

John
Feb 14th, 2004 10:50 pm

Love the form widgets.

Chris
Feb 15th, 2004 8:35 am

This site is beautiful. Nice work, especially with the navigation menus and the widgets…you know yer cee-es-es.

rgw
Feb 15th, 2004 10:24 am

Ah, you’re the person behind “This is Cereal.” No wonder this site looks gorgeous.

aliotsy
Feb 15th, 2004 9:03 pm

The new site is absolutely fantastic. I thought “This is Cereal” was great, but this, this is more than I would have dared to imagine.

I linked the site at spoono.com , so that I’m not the only one to profit from the GREAT work.

All I can say, is that I look very much forward to the tutorial at ALA, and hope that you keep up the amazing work.

Bernhard
Feb 16th, 2004 6:04 am

Shaun, you always seem to blow me away with what you are capable of. This is like CSS heaven. Good show…

BG

Byron
Feb 16th, 2004 9:08 am

Beautiful. This isn’t just great design: this is an excellent example of setting a tone, use of color, overall composition and information organization.

RMCox
Feb 16th, 2004 11:47 am

Gorgeous! The perfect marriage of design and code. Way to go, Mr. Inman!

Bearskinrug
Feb 17th, 2004 10:27 am

Just beautiful design, inspired me to update my CSS knowledge!

miles