Speaking’s out for Summer

Well, that wraps up my last speaking gig for a while. The wedding is next month and there’s still much to be done. I want to thank everyone who made it out to the AIGA Baltimore New Technology Event last night. After my Developing an Extensible Web App workshop had been cancelled (twice) it was nice to be able to end on a high note (two of ‘em if you count IceWeb).

As promised here are the two decks (includes some code samples and an OPML of general web design and development links) used in last night’s Streamline Site Production and Design with CSS plus Responsible Interaction Design with Ajax. I’ve exported them to Quicktime movies to preserve some of the multiple step slides (like Any Order Columns); a lot of information was lost in the PDF version. Open those suckers up in Quicktime and use the left and right arrow keys to switch between slides.

While these decks do use more screenshots and code samples than previous ones, the meat of the presentation was still in the spoken portion so if you weren’t there I’m afraid you might find it hard to follow along. To help combat that and to keep my word to attendees who asked for more information, here are some of the resources I used while preparing for the presentation:

If books are more your thing:

Why the indefinite speaking hiatus?

I’m a designer and developer. My medium is pixels and code. I’d much rather be doing than talking about doing. Also, I don’t feel like speaking is the best way to communicate much of the information people hope to gain from these events. The two biggest comments I receive every time I speak are “there was too much code!” and “there wasn’t enough code!”

Talking about code is a tricky thing. Go to fast or make one too many assumptions and some people wind up hopelessly lost. Go too slow or assume the audience knows nothing and other people fall asleep or worse, talk through your presentation.

So with all that behind me I expect posting on this site to return to a more regular frequency.

Design Patterns: Part I
Under the Apple Glass
May 24th, 2006 at 10:39 am
JavaScript
Personal
Event
Comments

I didn’t know you were getting married! Congrats man! All the best!

Ara Pehlivanian
May 24th, 2006 7:26 am

The wedding is next month

Wow! Congrats Shaun and Leslie, all the best with the wedding!

Jan Brašna
May 24th, 2006 7:41 am

I’ve been looking/waiting for an extension that hides css errors/warnings in the javascript console. Console 2 is just what I needed, thanks!

Brian Sweeting
May 24th, 2006 7:45 am

I was at your event last night and found it very motivational. Thank you and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Stacie

Stacie
May 24th, 2006 8:22 am

Good luck with the wedding Shaun! I hope its as memorable and beautiful as your sites and writeups have been =)

Sherwin Techico
May 24th, 2006 9:12 am

Shaun, just noticed you were giving this talk last night. Great to see you’re hiatus status. Not that I don’t want to hear what you have to say, but more that you’re an expert in your craft and you’re dedicated to it. Good luck!

Charles Adler
May 24th, 2006 1:52 pm

Id be interested in coming to see you speak Shaun. Unfortunately however it is cripplingly difficult living in England. Do you ever talk over here, or are you strictly stateside??

Also, congratuations on getting married. I dont know you (off the screen anyway!) or your soon-to-be and im not going to pretend to, but im sure you’ll be very happy! Best of luck mate.

Steve Tucker
May 24th, 2006 2:04 pm

By the way, I thought the biggest comment you receive after your presentations is about what font you’re actually using in you slides… ;D

Jan Brašna
May 24th, 2006 2:43 pm

I found your talk to be pleasantly informative. Thanks for the ideas on how to use AJAX…definitely gave me a few things to think about.

Amanda
May 24th, 2006 3:10 pm

I think the font he was using is DIN (or ffDIN I think). Great clean typeface, one of my favorite for sure. Thanks again Shaun for the great talk, I’m a graphic designer turned web designer, so I’m learning more and more CSS, java, flash coding fast and furiously. And I too loved your design of your presentation. I love keynote, just wished I had more reason to use it day to day.

That font is available here….

Parker
May 25th, 2006 5:34 am

I know, Parker, I was just kidding in relation to what Shaun said on one of the podcasts wih him.

Jan Brašna
May 25th, 2006 2:01 pm

all the best with the wedding!!

Harry
May 31st, 2006 3:04 am

Many thanks for posting these! They are great.

Good luck with the wedding too.

George